The Government has taken a decision to implement a railway project linking the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah via Jeddah. The HHR will be a high speed electrified passenger line, primarily designed to provide a fast, comfortable, reliable and safe mode of transport. The overall objective of the Government is to implement the HHR project as a public funded project.
The important features of the Project given below are based on preliminary estimations and are subject to revision on more detailed analysis and design:
- The HHR will be a high speed (360 km/h design speed) electrified passenger double line between Makkah, Jeddah and Madinah.
- Makkah Central Station near the 3rd Ring Road.
- Jeddah Central Station will be located on the Haramain Road, the railway alignment will use the median of the Haramain road and the Station in KAIA will be a terminus station.
- Madinah will have only one passenger station.
- Station will also be required in the King Abdullah Economic City and a station may be required for the Hajj Terminal at Jeddah Airport.
- The design, construction, operation, maintenance of HHR shall be executed in two phases.
Haramain High Speed Rail project represents one of the most important transport project in the expansion program of Saudi railway network. The project was approved by the supreme Economic Council under the resolution No. 3/23 dated 23/3/1423, which included that the project is to be implemented on Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis with participation of private sector.
Changing the implementation way of the project:
An approval was issued by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques that the project will be financed through the specialized funds. Then the Council of Ministers Resolution No. (43) Dated 17/2/1431 was issued to state that the state owned Public Investment Fund (PIF) will conclude and finance service and work contracts for Al Haramain High Speed Rail Project on the basis of interest-free loans from the financial resources of the Fund. The PIF will be compensated for this service through budget allocations in the coming years.
Importance of the project:
Haramain High Speed Project is considered an urgent need at the present time for several reasons, the foremost of these reasons is the growing number of pilgrims year after year, as well as the Umrah performers, visitors and residents who come to Makkah and Madinah throughout the year particularly during the seasons and holidays.
The impacts and benefits of the project:
- Alleviating the pressure and congestion on the roads between Makkah and Medina as well as Jeddah Governorate.
- The Comfort, safety and speed provided by the train.
- Reducing the pollution caused by vehicle exhausts.
Components of the project:
Establishment of a 450-km electric-rail track connecting Makkah, Madinah via Jeddah and the trains will be equipped with latest signaling and communications system.
- Provide the safest mode of high-speed rails with the latest techniques, in addition to the other equipments that combine the necessary, entertainment and fun.
- Construction of five-passenger stations in each of Central Jeddah, King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Makkah, Madinah and King Abdullah Economic City in Rabigh (KEAC).
- Maintenance and operation of the project and providing an additional capacity to the meet the demand growth over the period of the operation.
Management of HHR
In Du Al Hajja 1430, Scott Wilson Company has won a SR 89.8 million contract for the management of HHR for period of (55) months. The Company work is to manage HHR project and provide administrative consultative services, manpower and materials needed, preparation and completion of work.
Construction Supervision of HHR
HHR construction supervision works contract awarded to Dar Al-Handasa Consultants (Shair and Partners) in joint venture with Spanish Company Getinsa with a value of SR 360 million.